Monday, June 23, 2008

Blooms, Butterflies, & Birds

Today I went on an Audubon Society field trip hike. The name of the field trip was the same as the title of this post (Blooms, Butterflies, and Birds) and we headed off to a place called Emerald Valley to look for those things. One of the priorities of the hike was to look for and do a rough census on orchids. This part was certainly intriguing to me, since I didn't even know we had wild orchids here. We also were looking for butterflies and, of course, birds. The group tally for bird species seen or heard was 28. Without the help of the experience birders in the group, I probably would have ID'd about 5! It's so much fun to go on a field trip like this and just absorb the knowledge of the others on the trip. Well, enough with the set-up, here's the pictures:
Colorado Blue Columbine (Colorado State flower)

Paintbrush

Yellow Lady's Slipper Orchid

Two more Yellow Lady's Slippers

Field Crescent

Western Tiger Swallowtails

"Puddling" butterflies - some species of "blue". I'll edit when I find out the species.

Western Tanager - gotta be one of the prettiest species of bird in the US!

A flower spider eating a bee on a wild rose. Luckily my friend Jenyva spotted this or I would've missed it.

No comments: