Saturday, January 5, 2008

Happy New Year!

I hope you all had a very special Christmas and a great New Year!

My trip home was great. My car survived the trip with no lingering otter odor. The drive to Leavenworth was pretty sloppy, with wet or slushy roads most of the way. It was really nice to spend extended time in Leavenworth, since it seems I'm usually just passing through lately.

On the 29th of December, we took a drive up to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge near Mound City, MO. With most of the water frozen over, we knew that most of the waterfowl would be gone, but I was hoping to see some eagles and was not disappointed. We probably saw a couple dozen bald eagles, several deer, lots of pheasants, trumpeter swans, a few straggler snow geese and my favorite sighting: a barred owl that was perched on a hollow log just feet from the road. Here are some pictures:

Ring-neck pheasant

A pair of bald eagles with their nest

A white-tail doe

A few trumpeter swans coming in for a landing

A mature and immature bald eagle performing some aerobatics

A barred owl

My drive back to Colorado included a detour to the zoo in Garden City to pick up a skink (lizard) for my zoo. It added quite a few miles, but I got to see parts of Kansas I'd never been in before.

No comments: